Find out more about the location of one of our Bound for Peace trips!
by Christina Mouttet
Colombia’s second-largest city is the gorgeous city of Medellin. This city is also the site for one of our Bound for Peace service trips this March. From beautiful attractions, kind people, and amazing food- it definitely should be on your bucket list. By signing up to volunteer, you will get to dive into the culture and experience this amazing city. The list of reasons Medellin is so beautiful is endless, but here are a few:
1. It is known as the “City of Eternal Spring” due to the gorgeous flowers that bloom all year long. We can thank Medellin’s near perfect temperature of (70-75 °F (22-23 °C) for this. There is even an annual festival dedicated solely to flowers, called "Feria de las Flores." It is one of the most important social events of the year and even includes a pageant, musical concerts, and parades.
2. Medellin is famous for its street art, especially in the Comuna 13 neighborhood.
3. Food. Bandeja Paisa is their national dish, and for good reason. It is made up of several components, including red beans, rice, plantain, avocado, pork belly, arepa, and fried egg.
Check out www.discovercolombia.com/bandeja-paisa for a recipe. Although, there is nothing better than going to Medellin and actually sampling the real thing!
4. Medellin is the fashion capital of Colombia. It is known for huge malls, two famous annual fashion shows, and being a hub for Colombia’s textile and apparel industry. It really is the place to be if you have any interest in fashion. Medellin's fashion extends to street style as well: visit www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmzujB41vaM to see more.
5. It is home to renowned artist Fernando Botero. He has even donated many of his pieces back to his city. To see more, check out Botero Plaza in Medellin.
These are only some of the highlights. You will just have to join us on our next trip to see the rest! Sign up today! Applications for our spring trip close January 21th and applications for our summer trip close February 25th.